If you are looking for an easy way to bring a natural touch to your holiday decorations, just take a walk and forage a few pine cones. They can make a great centerpiece or add them as an ornament to wreaths and the Christmas tree. With the addition of a few drops of essential oil, you can create an aromatic decoration that will keep your home smelling wonderful and comforting throughout the holidays.
- Collect your pine cones and give them a quick rinse in warm water.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread pine cones on a cookie sheet, then place in the oven for about 30 minutes. (The rinse and heat helps kill any bugs that might be hiding inside plus opens the cones a little bit.)
- Let the pine cones cool, then toss them in a gallon-size resealable bag.
- Drop 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil onto each pine cone.
- Zip the bag up and tumble it around once or twice to mix the essential oil.
- Leave bag sealed for at least one week for pine cones to fully absorb the scent.
- When ready, pop the bag open and decorate!
Popular Essential Oil Choices
- Jovial™ Uplifting Seasonal Blend
- Shield™ Protective Blend
- Chill™ Refreshing Blend
- Juniper Berry
- Balsam Fir